(Scroll down to The Fix: to see the potential fixes)
I don’t think i have ever been happier to consider an imaging issue
resolved than this one. If you are reading this you are probably having similar issues imaging to Windows 10 with the painful (and shit) Intel i217-LM Network Card.
Your symptoms will probably look a lot like this:
- You have been sent a new HP or Dell desktop with an i217-LM (or i218-LM) network card (in my case it was the HP EliteDesk 800G1 USDT)
- You attempt to deploy Windows 10
- You have the latest drivers from intel for this card
- You attempt to image the machine but it fails either:
- Binding to domain
- Failing with no network adaptor,
- Other generic network failures after booting to Windows from WinPE
- SCCM 2012R2 SP1 (latest CU)
- Windows 10 build 1511
- ADK 10 (v10.0.26624)
- Driver package for HP 800G1 (latest driver from intel included 18.104.22.168 )
- Task Sequence Steps:
Before i get to the solution, here are some screenshots and descriptions of the symptoms i was seeing:
Things i tried to do to fix it:
- Downloaded 15 versions of the i217 driver
- Imaged an 800g1 about 20 times.
- Drank heavily
- Injected latest intel driver into my gold w10 image
- Posted on every conceivable forum with others having exact same issue.
- Drunk some more.
- and then……
Since posting the below method i have seen a better increase in success by trying this:
While this method is certainly not foolproof, it DID increase my success rate. It could have been the above that helped, or it could have been the color of my office floor, or the humidity or lack of in London’s “lovely” weather, or 1000 other random events that assisted in my success rate, i just dont know.
WARNING: Before following below please note: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configmgrteam/2015/11/20/issue-with-the-windows-adk-for-windows-10-version-1511/
Also, the below appeared to fix my issue for a few tests then my success rate dropped, it only helped me achieve about 30% success.
Otherwise read on…
I’m not sure what is new in the ADK that fixes this issue, and why i only have this issue on the i217 card. I will be sure to push microsoft for an answer but i assume there is a slight update in DISM that causes the i217 driver to be injected from PE to Windows correctly.